06 February 2007

"Too little, too late"

"Too little too late." That is what my friend kept saying last night as we watched the second half of the Super Bowl 'together' last night. My friend is up in Minot, ND. For those of you who went to public school, that is about two spits away from Canada. Thanks to the excellence of American ingenuity, we have the internet. Yes, I know that some guy from CERN named Tim Berners-Lee created HTML and the first web browser, thus launching what became known as the World Wide Web. But what does the web run on? The Internet. The internet was developed by the United States Armed Forces for their own communication. Back then it was called ARPANET (I don't remember exactly what ARPA stands for, but knowing out government, it is an acronym for something).

Anyway, several years later the military turned their arpanet over to the National Science Foundation. NSF quickly opened it up to universities, and the Internet was born. So yes, I can with all degree of accuracy, I can say emphatically that the Internet we all know and love was created by the good ol' United States of America. But I digress...

My friend and I, we were able to watch the game together from 1700 miles apart due to the miracle of instant messengers. We were able to chat real time while watching the game. Commenting on commercials, on plays and what not.

The game was a little dry the second half I thought (no pun intended). I always enjoyed watching foul weather games more than fair weather games. The rain last night made for some fairly unpredictable incidents. Several fumbles I saw were, I believe, a direct result of the moisture in the air and on the ball. It got off to a good start. I loved the first play when Chicago ran the opening kick off back for a touchdown. 14 seconds into gameplay and 6 points were up on the board. The first half, as I said, was exciting. There were close calls, some fumbles and interceptions. The game was moving along and mostly unpredictable.

The commercials were alright, but I don't think they held up to the smashing commercials of years gone by. I think my two favorite commercials of all time to date are the EDS commercials, the one where the cowboys are herding cats, and the one about the "Running of the Squirrels". My favorite from this year has to be the "Rock, Paper, Scisscors" from Budweiser followed closely by the GM robot nightmare. The next two would be the Blockbuster mouse doesn't work (although, technically, that was a pre-game commercial, not a super bowl commercial) and the Carlos Mencia Bud Light English as a Second Language commercial.

All-in-all, it was a fun game to watch.

0 comments: