13 November 2006

The Road To Confirmation

My oldest son turned 14 last month, and last week I took him to a parent-student meeting at the church for information on the process and expectations of his being confirmed in the Catholic Church. Turning 14 in Kansas is a big deal all on it's own. At 14 you can get a learner's permit for driving. You can drive with your parents or another responsible licensed adult over the age of 18 in the front seat of the vehicle with you. Then at 15, with at least 6 months of driving experience, you can get a restricted driver's license. The restricted driver's license lets you drive to and from school, and to and from work, or in connection with work. Also at any other time with a licensed adult over the age of 18 in the front seat with you. You are limited however, to transporting passengers in your to and from school/work etc driving to only your siblings.

So Niko asked for his birthday for money to pay for driving school. Driving shool costs about $300.00, and he got it. Family and friends can be generous if they know there is a purpose for the money requested.

Now in addition to driving, he is preparing for Confirmation in the Catholic Church. Part of his requirements is to attend Mass each and every weekend. He doesn't mind that, but I have to admit that in the past year or so we (his parents) have gotten a little lazy about getting to Mass, despite the fact that our parish has two churches and holds Massa bout 15 times a weekend. There is no excuse other than complacency. However, that will change now, at least for me, as I make sure he gets to Mass every weekend.

Another thing he has to do is obtain a sponsor. We don't know many people in Topeka, so finding a sponsor is going to be a bit tough for him. All this brought back memories of my time going through confirmation. I was attending the Holy Cross Abbey school in Canon City, Colorado at the time. I converted there, I'm not a cradle Catholic and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Some people seem to think if you're not a cradle Catholic, then you are somehow less a Catholic, but I can't see that. Someone not born here in America, but is an American citizen is not, in my view, any less an American than someone who has that title by birthright. But I digress.

My son's confirmation retreat will be a one day affair in the church basement. My confirmation retreat was a three day trip to Taos, New Mexico. In addition to all that religious soul searching stuff, we took a day and went skiing at Taos ski resort. I don't think my kid's retreat will be quite that nice, and certainly won't be in such a great setting as a lodge in the mountains of New Mexico.

0 comments: