10 November 2006

Little Things

It's the little things that seem to make all the difference in the world. My eight year old daughter Sunday night came sneaking down the steps about a half hour after she was sent to bed for the night. She complained that a branch scratching her window was keeping her from sleeping. I could tell by the expression on her face that she was also a little scared of the sound it was making. I told her go climb into my bed and sleep there and when I came up to bed, I would take her back to her own bed.


As I was getting ready for bed, the lump under the covers reminded me that she was in my bed. I scooped her up, and carried her down the dimly lit hallway to her own bed. As I was carrying her, she woke up. Not fully awake, but enough to realize what was going on. "I'm taking you to bed" I whispered, barely audible. She looked up at me a smiled. Not a weak smile, but one that seemed to light up the whole hallway. The look on her face was loud and clear. It's one that I will remember and cherish the rest of my life. Her expression said simply "There's no better or safer place to be than in daddy's strong arms."

0 comments: