19 November 2007

Movie Thoughts: Where the Red Fern Grows

WhereTheRedFernGrows

We watched Where the Red Fern Grows. I put it on our list at Blockbuster.com because it sounded like a good family movie. The kind that are made from old books written for teens and almost-teens, and I was right. The story centers around a young boy in the Oklahoma Ozarks who desperately wants a coon-hunting dog. He works doing odd jobs and somehow, during the depression, manages to scrape together the $50 to get a pair of hounds. He spends years training them and of course they become the best coon-hunting dogs in the area.

One of the things that surprised me was that Dabny Coleman actually played a likeable character. I can't remember the last time I saw Coleman in a role where you actually liked his character. The story was entirely predictable for those of us who have seen 100s of these types of movies in our collective lifetimes. The thing was, it wasn't predictable for the kids, and that is the important part. Even No. 2 Son who barely sat through Transformers, was nigh glued to the story and interested in what was going to happen next.

1 comments:

Military Mom said...

Matt just finished reading this earlier ths school year, and he loved it. I'll have to rent the movie for hm. I saw it when I was a kid and I remember I cried at the end. I know... How Girly!