19 November 2007

Just Read: Cell by Stephen King

cell_  I'm a pretty big Stephen King fan. I can't say I'm a huge fan. I haven't read all his books. I haven't read any of the Bachman books, so maybe I'm just a fan, and not even a big fan really. My favorites from him are The Stand and The Dark Tower series. I'll have to admit the final Dark Tower book kind of fizzled though. It didn't seem like his heart was in it. Almost as if he wrote it just to get it out of the way, to be finished with Roland and Jake and Detta and the rest.

The Stand, for the uninitiated, is an end of the world story. An extremely dangerous, genetically engineered super flu virus (nicknamed "Captain Tripps") is accidentally released from a government facility and eliminates 2/3 of the world's population. Coming into the midst of this is Randall Flagg. Flagg is, I believe, one of the greatest, and most evil villains since Darth Vader.

Cell is another try by King at an end of the world story - with zombie types thrown in for good measure. But it falls far, far short of The Stand. The story centers around Clay Riddell who is a graphic artist and things are just looking up for him. He sold his graphic novel "Dark Wanderer" and was about to be rolling in the dough. Well, maybe not rolling, but at least he could provide a better life for his wife and child. That same day, everyone who had a cell phone went completely bonkers. Some sort of pulse was transmitted essentially wiping out their minds, leaving only the most basic emotions. Riddell is in Boston, and his wife and kid are up in Maine (natch!). The story follows Riddell and a few others picked up along the way, on his quest to find his wife and son, while trying to avoid becoming food for the zombie "phoners".

King's usual character development is non-existent. While the book does suck you in, it just doesn't, I don't know, doesn't 'get you there.' I don't know how else to explain it. It is almost like King didn't even really write this book. It reads like a book that is written in the style of King, as an homage to him, but not by him.

It is a good story though. Maybe he was channeling Bachman, and this is the way he wrote the Bachman books (as I said, I've never read any of them - just not that much of a sci-fi fanatic where books are concerned). Or a graphic novel. It would have made a great graphic novel. Maybe King should have dropped a line to Frank Miller, or Klaus Jansen or John Byrne and had them illustrate it. I probably would have enjoyed it more if he'd done that.

2 comments:

Military Mom said...

While I like some of his books, I believe King is now writing books that are begging for a screenplay. It's like he's expecting it. I miss his older books. I loved Carrie, IT, and Misery. And yeah, they made for good movies, but the books were phenominal.

Unknown said...

I really liked his older stuff. His first book I read was The Shining, and it was creepy as all get out. Sadly, I still have yet to read Carrie and Cujo (in addition, I've never even seen those movies either).