12 December 2006

The new arrival

Just before the ice storm we had a couple of weeks ago there appeared on our back porch a cat. Well, kind of a cross between a cat and a kitten. Probably about nine or ten months old. Of course, against my feelings, the wife and kids actually fed the thing. Now, I'm not a mean person, but I detest cats. They claw things up, you have to empty their litter boxes, they don't come when you call them. In general, cats are much more high maintenance than dogs.

Well, it appeared the cat was living in a hollow tree on the side of our house and when the ice storm came, and I didn't want to do it, but with three kids with big watery eyes, and their mother all plotting against me, the cat was brought into the house. For the first few nights it slept with my middle boy because the dog and other cat weren't terribly happy about having a new contestant for affection. The dog I could understand, but why in the world would the cat be bothered? It's not like cats are friendly to begin with and this cat hides 90% of the time anyway.

Long story short, we have a new cat, it has been given the name Chicago because it bears four white socks (get it, Chicago White Sox? - pretty clever, huh?).

Thanks for visiting!

0 comments: