13 March 2011

Movie Thoughts: Daybreakers

I have to admit to a certain affection for supernatural thrillers. Vampires, werewolves, demons and the like. I like them. Not to the extent that I like time travel movies - where I pretty much have to see them, even if I know they are gonna suck sour eggs.

I will say that lately I've been avoiding vampire movies - pretty much since the Twighlight movies started up. Those simply can't hold my interest. As someone said - the Twighlight movies turned vampires into sparkly faggots. A sentiment with which I agree.

Daybreakers, however, returns the vampire monster to it's rightful place a something to be feared; but with a Wall Street corruption kind of twist.

Set in a world where vampires have become the norm, and humans have become an endangered species, a small group of humans search for a way to survive, even as the supply of human blood dwindles to nothing.

Daybreakers isn't really a horror film so much as it is a well plotted and well acted thriller. Ethan Hawke, Sam Niell and Will Dafoe star.

0 comments: