18 October 2006

Drivin' to the delta

The drive down to Mississippi was uneventful. I didn't get pulled over for doing almost 75 most of the way down. It took me just over 10 hours to arrive in Oxford. Of course, Oxford doesn't seem to believe in street signs, so in that fairly small sized town, it took me another hour to find my sister's house.

With my little Honda Insight, I only had to stop and fill up the 11 gallon fuel tank once. I had to stop for bathroom breaks twice, so I had to empty myself more than I had to fill up the car. I got an overall average of 60 MPG heading down to Oxford. The first tank got much better mileage than the second tank. I'm not certain why though. I stopped south of Sikeston, MO, I think around Matthews or Marston, but don't fully remember exactly where. At that point my average MPG was about 66.

From there my mileage went downhill fast until getting through Memphis. It seemed almost like southern Missour and NE Arkansas is all uphill getting to Memphis. Once through Memphis though, I hit the beautiful rolling hills of northern Mississippi.

They really did a great job in Mississippi with I-55. Giant trees line each side of the highway. You really can't see any commercial businesses from the highway. Everything seems to be about 1/4 to 1/2 mile off the highway. I reminded me of driving through Alberta, Canada - which has a similar setup for the highway I was driving on up there. I did stop at a service station in Sardis, Mississippi to put my home brew on ice and get a hot cup of coffee for the final leg of the trip.

One thing I noticed about Mississippi is the lack of noise. Maybe it was being away from the three kids squealing and squaking at home, but I think it was more. There seemed to be less noise over all. Less background noise. No sirens, very limited traffic noise. I noticed it first at my sister's place, and at her mother's place, and at the funeral home. So I don't think it was something specific to one location or area since all three are in different parts of the delta.

0 comments: